A collection of Random Thoughts about Life, My New Weight Loss Journey with the Lap Band, Love, and Learning to Deal with the Curves that the Path brings Along the Way...

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Weighing in on my fears and insanity...

So here I am again, writing to god knows who in cyberspace. I don't have much to do here in the Butt-crack other than write on this blog (Well, I do...but those activities tend to get me into trouble, so I figure I will try to be good! =o)
I have been surfing the web for better than an hour looking for information about what to expect of my new diet and weight loss from my lap-band surgery. Can we just say information overload? This blog says "eat this", another says "Don't!" I have so many questions and worries - the wheels in my head are going non-stop like the wheels on a souped-up 1988 ghetto style cutlass sierra with spinners on its 22's! Ackkkkk! I mean, I am worried about how much food I should be eating....should it be a thimble full? Should it be a small bowl full? How can I make sure I am getting the most out of what I eat? And getting in 60 - 70 grams of protein a day?? How the HELL am I going to do that?? Protein supplements actually make me sick to my stomach they are so gross. So how can I get in that much protein without being able to eat meat? So many questions in my head!!! Then you need to throw in my other stupid worries..."Have I really been doing everything right? Is my 600 - 800 calorie a day range too much?? Too Little?" Or even better than those worries (which are justified), are the completely outrageous ones, "Is this surgery really going to help me? Am I really going to eventually lose weight? Is it too good to be true? Am I really going to dramatically lose weight?" It is enough to make someone go nuts!!!
These latter silly woes are the ones that make me realize something. I am TERRIFIED of stepping on a scale. So far so good...the needle has continually been dropping, but I have only allowed myself to be weighed at the doctor. Granted I was able to pull off 30 lbs BEFORE my surgery, but I have to admit with only one other weigh-in under my belt at the doctor's office, it leaves me wondering If (and how much) weight I have continued to drop. Or have I dropped anymore at all? Ughh. I don't know what it is, but I just can't bring myself to step on the scale right now. I don't want any disappointment, and I don't want anything else in my life to cause me any stress. On the other hand, stepping on that scale could be a good thing, I could have dropped a good bit more weight, and it could motivate me even further. But I just can't seem to bring myself to do it!!! Is it unnatural to have a fear of scales? That fear should have existed when I was at my heaviest, not now!!! What the hell is wrong with me?
So anyhow, before you think I am completely losing my sanity, let me stop raving like a lunatic about scales. On to other things....
So I think in my first post I touched on how my love life had completely gone to hell in a hand-basket. What I neglected to mention was that my relationship was an unfortunate victim of the Long Distance Gods. Being in a different state from the love of my life (across the country in fact) was never easy, but we made it work for a while. Now that it seems to have taken a turn for the worst, I figure that NEW chapter (or book, if you will) of my life should maybe include taking new chances on other romantic opportunities. Even though I am by no way over my recent split (I am actually very heartbroken), I did manage to muster up the courage to ask a co-worker of mine to be my date for an upcoming wedding. This particular co-worker has expressed interest in me (which took me a while to accept, because I always assumed NOBODY liked the fat girl...) and I figured, "what the hell?" I am not saying I am looking for anything out of the potential date, but maybe I could at least have some fun, right? He tentatively agreed to go, pending how our work schedules are that weekend (which automatically in my head I take that to mean "unless he gets cold feet and decides to back out at the last minute") but as of now, I have a date. I am looking forward to it! He is a cute guy, we have become pretty good friends at work, and his personality challenges mine (I LOVE a good challenge!) The wedding is at the end of the month. By that time I should be about 5 weeks post op, and hopefully quite a few more pounds lighter (if I would ever get on the scale to find out!) Hopefully the change will be noticeable and it will make my potential date's interest perk a little bit more and leave him no choice but to attend the wedding with me and not bail out. Wish me luck, hopefully all goes well!
I NEED this to work out. I can't explain it, but I think having a successful "ask someone on a date and actually have it go off without a hitch" will help me get over my recent heartbreak. As I mentioned, I relied on him for every bit of confidence I managed to have in myself. I never thought I was even remotely pretty until he told me a thousand times that I was "Beautiful." Without him there to continue it, I don't know if I can keep believing it. I know that sounds silly, but it is true. I WANT to believe it though. I WANT to believe I am everything he said, and not just because he was flattering me...but because I really am! For some reason I think the whole date thing would help prove to ME that I don't need him to tell me those things...maybe it will help show me that I should have that confidence in myself. I don't know, I am sure I sound absolutely silly again, but I can't help it. Maybe the surgery has made my mind race lately, or maybe it is just being here in the butt-crack by myself. Whatever is going on in this damn head of mine, I hope I can get it under wraps. Until then....I guess I will just have to keep ranting here. Sorry! =o)

No comments:

Post a Comment